Monday, February 16, 2015

(b) Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (1990) is a novel co-written by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The cover and back blurb both emphasise the fact that the book is laugh out loud funny. This makes me very sceptical. However, in this case, I have to agree. I read this in the train and had to suppress my giggles and chuckles several times - to an acceptable level, of course. At home, I may or may not have even cackled.

To be honest, the other books I've read by Neil Gaiman have been not my cup of tea (The Graveyard Book and Stardust). But I guess it takes some Pratchett to make me love his writing. Obviously, I've no idea who wrote which part but all in all I really enjoyed the novel. I have to deduct a star, though, because I sort of lost interest for a while mid-way through the book, and wasn't very excited to read it. It just felt a bit slow - even though things were happening! The end picked right on up so it's a solid 4 stars for me (I really, really liked it).

Now, should I give a slight synopsis? The book deals with an impending apocalypse that has to be brought on by the Antichrist. A representative from Hell and Heaven are assigned to help/hinder the eventual Doomsday. I really enjoyed both of these characters: Crowley and Aziraphale. Later in the book there is a little possession-event that just cracked me up. The characters are all very well-written. No one is perfect, and no one acts the way you expect them to. I won't even tell you about the Antichrist and his, er, hell-hound.

I think if I knew more about the Bible, the novel would be even funnier as I feel I didn't get a few "inside" jokes. Still, it's a nice parody or a retelling without being overly mean; although it did have a side of healthy scepticism about certain aspects of religion. It feels very modern (naturally technologically less so) in its thought processes so the novel is very contemporary in that sense. I really enjoyed it and had a great time reading the novel (apart from that little bit in the middle).

I definitely recommend this novel. It's very entertaining and, indeed, you will definitely laugh (if not out loud, then at least be prepared for chuckles).

Disclaimer: I borrowed this book from a public library.

No comments:

Post a Comment