Thursday, February 12, 2015

(b) The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

The Angel's Game (2008) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón is the second instalment in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series. It probably could be read as a stand-alone but I've been told that the third book in the series (The Prisoner of Heaven) is essential to understanding this one. This leads me to the rating I gave this book. To beat around the bush a bit, I gave The Shadow of the Wind - the first book in this trilogy/series - 5 stars. It is one of my favourite books of all time as it was the perfect mixture of mystery and the sub-genre of "books about books". It made me love books even more and the whole novel was peppered with great quotes about reading, readers and novels. Not to mention very interesting and quotable characters.

This novel, however, will only receive 3 stars, I'm afraid (please see last post for my star rating system). I'm not sure if the average rating is due to the fact that I was expecting it to be on par with The Shadow... or that it's just a weaker novel. I fear the latter. OK, so I am sure why my rating came about. I can see how the author was trying to recreate the magical setting of Barcelona that worked so well in the first book (I'm sorry for all the comparisons with the first book, but this is the second in the series), but it felt gimmicky this time. He was repeating himself often - one quote was used four times in 60 pages when it would work better once (I know this, because the SAME quote was used in Shadow... and to a great effect).

I can go into details about the plot a little as this is a prequel and takes places before the events of The Shadow of the Wind. Sidenote, the books can be read out of order I've been told: TAG first, then TSotW and then TPoH. The protagonist David Martin is a struggling (at first) writer who writes a sinister and slightly paranormal novel series about the underworld of Barcelona. He becomes well-known but not under his own name. There is also a love interest - Cristina - but she doesn't feature that heavily in the novel. My favourite character was Isabella, to be honest, a minor character (well, her impact was big but she wasn't a main character). I don't know why lately I like side characters more than the main ones. Isabella was snarky and didn't take any crap from anyone. The protagonist, however - or was he an anti-hero? - was a horrible, spoiled brat. Possibly a little craycray. I'm not sure. Sorry, I got sidetracked, anyway a mysterious publisher commissions a book from the main character and a confusing events ensue. It's partly a detective/mystery novel but no one knows who are the bad guys and who are the good guys. There are crazy murders and crime and a lot of WTF-is-going-on moments until the very end.

Most of the plot of the novel was extremely disturbing and dark despite the seemingly sunny setting. Although, yes, I'm aware that Barcelona was not probably a lovely tourist destination back then (book takes place in the 1920-1930s). I guess the backdrop comes in really handy at this point: Barcelona, the sinister, Gothic architecture thereof, etc.

I read the novel in translation which I had some issues with. The text was full of cliches and saying that felt out of place, and I feel like so many better alternatives could have been found. I really enjoy the writing style of Ruiz Zafón but it felt a little too-much at times. Maybe flowery is the right word? It just felt a tad overwrought in places.

I really don't want to end on a negative note. Obviously, I liked the novel as I finished it and was not tempted to put it aside. It kept me interested and the action was very compelling at times. I think it takes amazing skill to come up with a plot like this: it was very convoluted but not necessarily in a bad way as I kind of enjoyed all the twists and turns, if this makes any sense. I will continue on with the series and I have a feeling I will have a better understanding of the events after the third book. Captain Obvious is obvious.

The book is worth picking up but if I put you off it a little with my inexperienced ramblings, then please at least read The Shadow of the Wind because that book is absolutely wonderful and a must-read for every true book-lover!


Disclaimer: I bought this book myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment