Saturday, January 23, 2010

(b) book about good food

Julie & Julia
by Julie Powell

I'm all for projects and challenges like every other person. Whether you go through with them or not. Beginnings are always such a thrill, even more so if you actually finish them, I would imagine.

So, this book. It's about Julie Powell, a secretary in New York, quite dissatisfied with her job, who one September day decides she will cook her way through a whole cook-book within a year. Which may not seem such a big deal, but do keep in mind there are 365 days to a year, and there are 524 recipes in the book. Including preparing kidneys, brains and bone marrow sauces, and boning ducks. Not your average "mix flour and water in a bowl" type of recipes, but the old-fashioned ones where cooking took several hours. Nice.

I liked this book. It read quite fast, and I enjoyed Ms Powell's language, she has great style, and a natural knack for writing I might add. She finished her challenge, which is always great. Now I must find a way to see the film, as well.

It's not just a book about a cooking challenge. It's also the path to the proverbial self-discovery, and I would like to quote these words, I hope I'm allowed:

Sometimes, if you want to be happy, you've got to run away to Bath and marry a punk rocker. Sometimes you've got to dye your hair cobalt blue, or wander remote islands in Sicily, or cook your way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking in a year, for no very good reason. (306)
So, yes, a good book. I'd recommend it. I have it, you're welcome to borrow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment