Thursday, January 21, 2010

Booking Through Thursday

This is fun, a challenge taken on by bloggers every thursday.. I decided to participate, now.

Question: Who’s your favorite author that other people are NOT reading? The one you want to evangelize for, the one you would run popularity campaigns for? The author that, so far as you’re concerned, everyone should be reading–but that nobody seems to have heard of. You know, not JK Rowling, not Jane Austen, not Hemingway–everybody’s heard of them. The author that you think should be that famous and can’t understand why they’re not…

Answer: JENNIFER JOHNSTON! Of course. I mean, some people know about her.. some here, some in Ireland, and some in the UK. But elsewhere, not so much. Especially in America. She's not even published there! I can't understand why.. She's brilliant, really. And, if someone will start a popularity campaign or what-not, I'd be on board! I might consider starting one myself... by widely publicising my thesis, for instance.. My thesis on HER. Right, then... In the humour section somewhere, perhaps? But yeah, read her, she's amazing. Her prose is.. beautiful to say the least, really.

Anyways yes, fun challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you're right about Johnston being difficult to find in the US. I managed to find a used copy of The Railway Station Man, but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading that exact book at the moment :). It's quite good, indeed. But I'd recommend Shadows on our Skin if you can get hold of that one, it's my personal favourite :).

    ReplyDelete