Thursday, January 28, 2010

Booking Through Thursday

This week's questions:

1. Do YOU like books with complicated plots and unexpected endings?

I don't mind complicated plots, I can usually follow them if they're logical (even if they only do make sense in the end), and I have nothing especially against unexpected endings, unless it's a negative emotion for me, as "whyyyyy?".

2. What book with a surprise ending is your favorite? Or your least favorite?

Ah, this is a tough one. I like doing my background searches before reading books, so I generally know quite a bit about them. Sad surprise endings are my least favourites, all of them.
Although I have a feeling I knew how the book will end (as in someone told me beforehand), I still loved Veronika Decides to Die's ending. Can't remember any other book at the moment.


Frustratingly difficult questions this week!, and not very cohesive answers.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy complicated plots and multiple layers of meanings, but they are not necessary for me to like a book. It all depends whether I resonate with the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That, too, is important, of course. Otherwise it's difficult to read a book, if it doesn't "speak to you".. :).
    I understood the question in the way that would a complicated plot reduce the joy I get from reading, it wouldn't, but indeed.. A complicated plot does not automatically mean I like the book :). The best books may have seemingly simplistic plotlines.

    ReplyDelete