Thursday, January 14, 2010

(b) four

The fourth installment is as follows:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
by J. K. Rowling

Harry's still at Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft. This time the story focuses more on the summer, as well, and the whole book is nearly 400 pages longer than the previous ones. When he's back at school, it seems that by some mistake or unfortunate event his name has been added to the Goblet of Fire, and he is to enter the Triwizard Tournament, a kind of international wizarding event. Plenty of action ensues, and troubles, naturally.

The book is not one of my favourites, perhaps I've had a bit of an overdose of Harry Potter, having read the books on consecutive days, or maybe it was just the length - previous books were 200-300 odd pages, this one over 600. In fact, I had to stop reading it mid-way through and went on to another one. The last 200 pages picked up quite nicely, though, and kept me on the edge of my seat (is this expression used for books?), and I kept hearing myself saying "come on, now" and clutching the book, as if that would help. It didn't.

Although being a hefty book, I believe there was sufficient amount of plot to fill it, so it really wasn't dragging that much. Maybe I just needed a break.
I do not know the outcome of the next book, so I'm guessing that'll be more of a thrill to read, not having seen the film. I will continue on reading the series, of course.

I'm not sure I'd recommend this book on its own (though it can be read as such), it just wasn't as good as the previous ones, for some reason. In my own opinion! But if you're committed to the series, I'm in no doubt you will finish them all, so this is all quite pointless, isn't it? Well, I just like the sound of my own voice.. or, er, you know what I mean.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete