Saturday, January 2, 2010

(gf) on the roll

My first desert on the blog. I'll wait for the applause to subside, and... Thank you.
On to the recipe. There's a bit of an introduction to this one. What do you do, when you want to make chocolate cake, and discover you have no eggs? Well, you Google the internet for "eggless cakes", and then discover it's a vegan thing. Which means no dairy or eggs. Wonderful. Here goes:

Vegan Chocolate Cake
4,2 dl flour
2,8 dl sugar
3 tb spoons of cocoa
1 teaspoon of baking soda
0,5 teaspoon of salt
2,8 dl water
1,1 dl oil
1 tb spoon of vinegar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Excuse the funny numbers, it's a translation from an English recipe. These are actually half of the ingredients on the original recipe, but it's definitely enough. More wouldn't have fit on my cake pan, since it rises quite a bit.

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350F). Mix all the dry ingredients, then mix all the wet ingredients, and then mix them all together in a bowl, until there are no lumps. Pour onto the baking pan greased with a bit of oil (in the vegan tradition). Cook for 35-40 minutes. Use the match-test to check if it's ready.

On the picture you will see the cake covered with chocolate sauce, which was actually supposed to be frosting, but obvious enough, it isn't. I'm sure you each have your own recipe for the sauce, and I will not be able to reproduce mine, since I kind of improvised, a big no-no for me. But it consisted of milk, butter, sugar, vanilla extract and cocoa. In case you're interested. So I wasn't continuing the "no-dairy" path since, well, I'm not a vegan, just happened to be out of eggs.

The cake is best enjoyed, in my opinion, slightly warm with a glass of milk. Yum.

Good night, and thanks for tuning in!

No comments:

Post a Comment