Thursday, January 21, 2010

(b) spicy

After handing in my thesis a few weeks ago, I embarked on a journey of reading as much as I can, it is the Year of Reading, after all.
Do excuse my ... eclectic taste in books (for lack of a better word), I go by recommendations, and this received many.

The Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl
by Belle de Jour

I don't have much to say about this book. It's non-fiction, a memoir of sorts, actually compiled of almost a year's worth of blog posts by a London call girl. A high class call girl. She's highly educated, I did some Googling and found out she actually received a PhD whilst this book takes place, so indeed.. not your usual stereotype of a prostitute.

She is very outspoken, with wonderful insights into the world of men. Her vocabulary is impressive, and rather academic at times. However, the book was a bit raunchy, to be honest, but this was not unexpected (see title of book).

I did manage to scribble down quite a few quotes, so for me it was worth the read. It's a difficult book to recommend, though. Perhaps for a bit of light reading, if none of your own favourites are at hand? Suit yourselves. I consider this blog more my own reading diary than anything else, anyway.

But yes, a word of warning: rather explicit contents.

No comments:

Post a Comment