Saturday, January 9, 2010

(b) Team Cats

I buy a lot of books. Books I usually don't read afterwards, but which have for some reason spoken to me in the store (maybe I just hear things). This one did, too. And I read it. I have a thing for books where the plot contains either books or libraries. Like this one, called:

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
by Vicky Myron and Bret Witter

Well, I think it's rather obvious what this book is about. It is about a cat, Dewey Readmore Books, who lives in a library. And it's a true story.
One cold-cold December morning the manager of Spencer library (in a small-small town) found a little kitten from the book-return box. The little kitten was almost frozen to death. So they took him in, and named him Dewey. He spent the rest of his life living in that library, happy as can be.

It's a touching and a heart-felt story and there is no happy ending, as such.. But what this book does demonstrate, is how intelligent cats are. They can always sense the moods of people: who need comforting, who are mean... As did Dewey. And it's a lovely book, as well, even if a bit sad.
Needless to say, the cat became famous (see title above), and changed the lives of who he came in contact with, in one way or another. He had his own adventures, and misfortunes as every other character in the book, but he lead a long and interesting life.

It's a sad book, sort of, but I would still recommend it. Especially for people who have a thing for books about books and libraries, and/or cats. I liked it, and it affected me, and very few people could remain dry-eyed while reading this book, but then again.. I've always had a huge amount of respect toward cats, who are just.. adorable, but with a temper, you know? Overall rating I'd say about 7/10 (I read a translation, and the authors' writing style was a bit generic most of the time, but the emotions are there!), but still a nice book.

No comments:

Post a Comment